How to Lose Weight After 40
There is no age in being weight conscious, even for aged people, or those who are in the “middle age”.
People at 40s also feel that their weight upsurges and is more noticeable because of those “extra fats” found in the middle of their bellies. They may also be doing intensive diets but its as if nothing happens.
The truth is that part of the aging issues is the inability to lose weight that fasts. Despite the various reasons why fortunately there are still ways to combat weight problems. Before that, let’s identify some of the factors why there is always a hard time losing weight in the 40s.
Why Losing Weight at the 40s is Complicated
- Hormones- for women, the perimenopause and menopause stages and the men’s sudden drop of testosterone and other hormonal changes make them obese. Lower estrogen levels make a woman want to eat more, while low testosterone means lower fat distributors and muscle strength and mass regulators.
- Being less active- one of the factors of being less active is having sarcopenia or the muscle loss that usually starts in the 30s, where 3 to 5 percent of lean muscles lose every decade.
- Inadequate sleep- regardless of the reasons, inadequate sleep makes a person hungrier because the body produces more ghrelin, a hormone that makes a person hungrier.
- Higher insulin resistance- the older the person gets, the harder for him to use insulin effectively, making him gain more weight plus with a higher risk of having diabetes.
How to Lose Weight at the 40s
Now that some of the reasons for gaining weight at the 40s revealed, here are some of the things that must be done to avoid it:
- Consume foods with more sugar, processed foods, and refined grains
Some packaged foods are filled with so much sugar, and the majority of the carbohydrates can be found in refined grains like white bread, bagels, and pasta. Once you consume these, the body, especially your pancreas, will not sense any difference from it. But before you know it, you are way an additional kilo’s weight.
- More exercise
Even if your body doesn’t want to, you must push yourself to exercise and to do it more despite the age. However, you must do it at a slower pace, and not push yourself to do intensive on the first day. It doesn’t have to be a complicated one, any physical activity that will make you fit will do. You can do:
- Aerobic exercises: This can be done by those who cannot do longer workouts.
- Weight training: Since there is always the risk of bone loss as we age, it is important that you start earlier to prevent it to give you more trouble.
- Monitor what you eat.
Why don’t you get the most of the high-tech stuff in helping you check your weight?
Since the body slows down its metabolism, you need less food. To help you keep track of your food intake or your weight, you can install weight monitor applications on your mobile phones or other devices.
You can still do some traditional ways of weight tracking by listing down the foods you eat and the calories it has.
While doing this, check yourself and observe how you feel after eating certain types of foods- what makes you feel good and what makes you happy.
- Consume probiotics to help your digestion.
The beneficial bacteria that probiotics have to play a role not only in weight gain but also in losing it. It helps in breaking down and digesting every food we eat, also aid in creating vitamins and other nutrients that can be used by the body.
- Eat more foods that are anti-inflammatory
Anti-inflammatory foods are rich in omega-3, probiotics, fiber, and antioxidants. These foods can help you in better digestion and to avoid having the feeling of always hungry.
- Sleep more, stress less
This may sound easier said than done, but some things can help you achieve it. Listening to your favorite playlist, reading your favorite book, doing occasional stretches, yoga, and other meditation techniques even for a few minutes, and hot baths before going to bed are some of the things that you can do to achieve better sleep and also to avoid too much stress to consume your body. Avoid stress eating!